Doors are a vital part of any home. They provide security, privacy, and protection from the elements. But with so many different types of doors on the market, it can be hard to know which one is right for your home.
If you’re considering a fibreglass door, this comprehensive guide from T. Simpson Roofing and Windows will tell you everything you need to know.
We’ll explore the pros and cons of fibreglass doors, what to look for when choosing one, and answer some common questions about these popular doors.
What Are Fibreglass Doors?
Fibreglass doors are made from a combination of glass fibres and resin. They are strong and durable, yet lightweight and energy-efficient. Fibreglass doors can be either hollow or filled with insulation, making them a great option for both interior and exterior doors.
Fibreglass doors are available in a variety of styles, including traditional, contemporary, and even rustic. And because they can be painted or stained to match your home’s decor, they are one of the most versatile types of doors on the market.
Pros and Cons of Fibreglass Doors
Let’s explore an in-depth overview of the benefits and drawbacks of these popular doors.
The Pros of Fibreglass Doors
Fibreglass doors have a lot to offer homeowners. Here are some of the biggest benefits of these doors:
- Strength and durability: Fibreglass doors are strong and durable, making them a great option for high-traffic areas. They won’t warp or crack like wooden doors, and they’re also resistant to dents and scratches.
- Energy efficiency: Many fibreglass doors are filled with insulation, making them more energy-efficient than other types of doors. This can help you keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, saving you money on your energy bills.
- Low maintenance: Fibreglass doors don’t require much upkeep. They don’t need to be painted or stained like wood doors, and they’re also resistant to mould and mildew.
- Versatility: Fibreglass doors come in a variety of styles and can be painted or stained to match your home’s décor. Whether you’re looking for a traditional door or something more modern, you’re sure to find a fibreglass door that suits your needs.
- Fire-safe: Fibreglass doors are also fire-resistant, making them a safe option for homes with children or pets.
The Cons of Fibreglass Doors
Fibreglass doors aren’t right for everyone. Here are some of the potential drawbacks of these doors:
- Cost: Fibreglass doors can be expensive, especially if you choose a custom door. However, many homeowners feel that the extra cost is worth it for the increased durability and energy efficiency.
- Noise: Fibreglass doors can be noisy, especially if they’re not properly insulated. If you live in a busy area or are looking for a door that will provide some sound insulation, fibreglass may not be the best option.
What To Look for When Choosing a Fibreglass Door
If you’ve decided that a fibreglass door is right for your home, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind when choosing one. Here are some factors to consider:
Fibreglass doors come in a variety of styles, so it’s important to choose one that fits your home’s design. If you have a traditional home, a fibreglass door with decorative glass panels would be a good option. For a more modern home, a sleek, minimalist door would be a better choice.
If you’re looking for an energy-efficient door, make sure to choose one that is properly insulated. Many fibreglass doors are available with insulation already installed, but you can also add insulation yourself or with the help of a professional.
Fibreglass doors can get on the pricey side, so it’s important to set a budget before you start shopping. Once you know how much you’re willing to spend, you can narrow down your options and find a door that fits your needs and your budget.
Fibreglass Door Style Options Available Today
Fibreglass doors come in a variety of styles, making it easy to find one that fits your home’s design. Here are some of the most popular fibreglass door styles available today:
- Traditional: Traditional fibreglass doors often feature decorative glass panels and wood grain details. These doors are a good choice for homes with a classic or traditional design.
- Contemporary: Contemporary fibreglass doors are usually made of solid panel construction with minimal details. These doors are a good choice for homes with a modern or contemporary design.
- Rustic: Rustic fibreglass doors often feature distressed finishes and rough-hewn details. These doors are a good choice for homes with a country or rustic design.
- Customization: If you can’t find a style that suits your needs and taste, you can always have a custom door made. This is a good option if you have specific requirements or want to add your own personal touch to your door and, ultimately, your home itself!
No matter what style of home you have, there’s a fibreglass door that will fit right in. With so many styles to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect door for your home.
How to Care For Your Fibreglass Door
Fibreglass doors are low-maintenance and easy to care for. However, here are some quick tips on how to keep your door looking its best:
- Wipe up any dirt or dust with a soft, dry cloth. If your door is starting to look dull, you can clean it with a mild soap-and-water solution. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as these can damage the door’s finish.
- To remove tough stains, you can use a soft-bristled brush and a mild soap-and-water solution. Scrub the stain gently until it comes up, then rinse the area with clean water.
- Also, once a year, it’s helpful to apply a fresh coat of wax or polish to your door to protect the finish. Be sure to choose a product that is specifically designed for use on fibreglass doors.
By following these simple care instructions, you can keep your fibreglass door looking like new for years to come!
Average Costs of Fibreglass Doors
Fibreglass doors can range in price from $500 to $2,000 depending on the style, size, and features you choose. Some factors that will affect the cost of your door include:
- Style: The style of your door will have a big impact on the price. A simple, traditional door will be less expensive than a custom-made door with decorative glass panels.
- Size: The size of your door will also influence the price. A standard-sized door will be less expensive than a larger or custom-sized door.
- Features: The type of hardware and other features you choose for your door will also affect the price. For example, a door with energy-efficient features like insulated glass panels will be more expensive than a door without these features.
When budgeting for your fibreglass door, be sure to factor in the cost of installation. This can range from $200 to $500, depending on the complexity of the job and whether or not you need to make any modifications to your doorframe.
Overall, the average cost of a fibreglass door (including installation) is between $700 and $3,000 — but, again, the cost is heavily dependent on a wide variety of factors.
When It Comes to Fibreglass Doors, We Can Help!
If you’re interested in adding a fibreglass door to your home, we can lend a hand.
We offer a wide selection of doors in a variety of different styles, sizes, and price ranges. And our team of experts can help you find the perfect door for your home and budget.
In addition, we also offer professional door installation services. So, whether you’re looking for a new front door or a patio door, we can take care of everything for you — from start to finish.
If you’re ready to add a fibreglass door to your home or look further at your options, contact us today!
We’ll be happy to answer any of your questions and help you find the perfect door for your needs.